Download: Come and Sing Online – Frequently Asked Questions or read below
Come and Sing Online – Frequently Asked Questions
Is Come and Sing Online right for me?
We aim to make this online event as enjoyable as possible for people living with dementia. Here are some of the features of the event, to help you decide if it is right for you, your family or friends. If you have any other questions, please email us at email@example.com or telephone 0131 668 8066.
What is Come and Sing Online?
Come and Sing Online is an online singing event that will be led by choir leader Stephen Deazley.
The atmosphere will be relaxed and patient.
You can choose whether you’d like to join in with the singing, or you can just listen. Everyone’s participation will be celebrated.
What songs will we sing?
You don’t have to know the songs before you join us but if you would like to try singing some of the songs before the event you can find the song words and music at the links below:
• Travel These Ways – click here
• We Shall Overcome medley – click here
• Sing me a Song medley – click here
Alternatively you can order a printed singing pack here. To receive your pack before the event, order by Friday 12th March.
We will also sing a few other well-known classics.
How long will the event last?
This event will last one hour, but you don’t have to stay to the end.
You will have the option to stay on to socialise with other people who attended the event for up at half an hour after the main event.
What will happen at Come and Sing Online?
You will join the event online. Instructions on how to join are below.
Choir leader Stephen Deazley will welcome everyone and introduce each song.
You will be able to sing along with Stephen or other recorded voices for every song, so you won’t feel like you’re singing on your own. Some of the songs will use pre-recorded music, and Stephen will play instruments live for others.
You will be encouraged to sing along in your home, but your microphone will be muted so nobody else at the event will hear you.
We will share the song words on the screen, and the whole event will be captioned so you can also read what Stephen is saying.
When the singing has finished, you can choose to stay online and chat to some of the other people who are there. If you’d prefer to leave when the singing ends that’s fine.
How do I join the event?
There are two ways to join this online event – using Zoom or using YouTube.
Zoom will allow you to take part in the event as it is happening, and you will be able to see and chat with others attending the event online.
Steps and information
- Book one place per device, no matter how many people are using that device to join in. When you book, you will receive an email confirming your booking and giving you a link to click on. Just before the event is due to start, you should click on this link. You will then be asked to enter the password that is also in your email.
- Alternatively, if you already have the Zoom app on your computer or device, you can go to the homepage and click ‘Join a meeting’. You then enter the Meeting ID that is included in your email, plus the password when you are asked to.
- Once the online event opens on Zoom, click the ‘Allow’ screen. You will enter a ‘waiting room’ until the event start time. This means that you will see a screen that says that you will be admitted to the event soon. Don’t worry if you are held there for a few minutes – if a lot of people try to join at one time it can take a few minutes to admit everyone.
- Zoom may also ask you to use your computer audio. Click ‘Yes’ to this. We will mute your microphone for most of the event, but this option will allow us to speak and hear each other between singing.
- You can choose to keep your camera off if you would rather remain unseen.
- Settings – please use speaker or gallery view, whichever suits you best.
- During the event, you can share written messages with the Luminate team if you have any questions or need help. You will see a speech bubble on your screen, and if you click on it this will open the ‘Chat’ function which is the message tool. The speech bubble may be in a different place depending on your device. For example, on a computer you are likely to find it at the bottom of the screen, and on a tablet you may find it at the top. When you click on the bubble, a box will appear and you can type in your message and choose who you send it to. The ‘chat’ also lets you send a message to everyone attending the event if you would like to, perhaps to say hello.
- After the main event, we will use ‘Breakout Rooms’ for those who want to stay to socialise. The ‘breakout rooms’ allow everyone to split into smaller groups on screen, so you can chat with the Luminate team and with other people who are attending the event.
- You can leave the event at any time, by clicking on the red ‘leave button’.
YouTube will allow you to watch the event as it is happening. You will see and hear the choir leader, but you will not be able to see or chat to anyone else attending online.
Steps and information
- You do not need to book through Eventbrite to watch the event on YouTube. Instead, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request a private webpage link. This link will allow you to watch the event live on the day.
- The event will be ‘unlisted’, which means it won’t appear in YouTube’s search results for the public to find. You will receive a private webpage link to click on when you email to book. This link will take you to the livestream of the event on Luminate’s YouTube channel.
- Once the event starts on Zoom, a video of the event will start on this YouTube page. You can watch and take part in the event as it is happening without the option of people seeing you. Using this option means you will not be able to see or chat to anyone else taking part or take part in the socialising after the main event.